Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ode to Pizza

I can't have pizza.

This is one of the great tragedies of my life.

Nearly two years ago I found out the reason I felt so miserably awful all the time was because I have Celiac. Immune disease that reacts to gluten which is wheat, barley and rye.

So, no pizza.

I am 8 months pregnant and while I honestly haven't had a single true craving throughout this pregnancy, all I want is a pizza.

A large pepperoni pizza with extra sauce and cheese and a thick crust so I can have it for breakfast in the morning too. Cold.

Sadly pepperoni and cream cheese as a lunch snack is not the same.

Neither is making it, though my mom is getting closer to perfecting a good GF crust (she has Celiac too)

But it just isn't the same as driving home with your husband and deciding, hey, lets get a pizza for the night and grab a movie and a coke and call it a date.

Now it takes like two hours to make one.

Since I lived off pizza in college I sometimes wonder how I would have survived. I mean I would have felt better if I had gotten diagnosed earlier so maybe it would have balanced out.

Other terrible foods for me that I really miss sometimes include bean burritos from Taco Bell with 1.5 packets of their hot sauce per burrito, any hot-and-spicy chicken burger from any fast food joint, DONUTS, and ANYTHING with pasta.

I found frozen donuts from Udi's when in Oklahoma visiting family. I have no idea how much they cost, but I immediately bought them and ate them. It was awesome.

My places to eat out are pretty much limited to Red Robin because I can have a HAMBURGER and they have a GF bun that is AWESOME. Yay Red Robin! Rudy's because their BBQ is GF and delish. And Jason's Deli because they have a GF menu and bread for sandwiches. So does Chile's.

Since I live in NM most mexican restaurants have a few options with corn tortillas and make their green chili with cornstarch instead of flour.

Not to mention I was taught how to cook growing up so I can make a lot of GF options that you can't tell the difference between. My mom and I are talking about publishing a cookbook even.

But I still miss ordering a freaking pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment